DATA: C-section rates vary in low-risk situations
The California Watch analysis examined the base C-section rates as well as "low-risk" rates that filter out any cesareans performed because of medical need. The main number presented below shows the average rate of C-sections per 100 low-risk births from 2005-2007 at Sacramento County hospitals. You can find the base rates by clicking on individual hospitals.
Click on a hospital on the list below for more information, or browse by county.
- Mercy General Hospital 17 17
- UC Davis Medical Center 16 16
- Sutter Memorial Hospital 16 16
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital – Sacramento/Roseville–Morse Avenue 15 15
- Mercy San Juan Hospital 15 15
- Methodist Hospital of Sacramento 14 14
- Mercy Hospital – Folsom 12 12
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital – South Sacramento 9 9
|For-profit hospital (48)|
|Not-for-profit hospital (205)|
The median rate of all 253 hospitals is 16 C-sections per 100 low-risk births. The highest rate is 47 at Los Angeles Community Hospital and the lowest rate is 7 at St. Helena Hospital Clearlake.
Read the FAQ
Credits: Agustin Armendariz, Brian Cragin, Chase Davis, Nathanael Johnson